Weapons

For discussions of all things game related.

Moderator: Builders

Arleve
Green Ajah

Weapons

Post by Arleve »

Swords are the only weapon where you get cool stuff, leaving everyone to choose swords if possible. Daggers you get a little something. It would be pretty cool if the other classes had a little something too in order to make them at least somewhat competitive with swords. Not every one in the books was an expert at the blade and I think as Mat showed, other weapons could certainly beat someone with forms.

And while I know that’s true now, it would make other weapons more fun to play. While I’d like to see lower level forms implemented for weapons, I’m not sure that’s really necessary. Adding simple things like specials to weapons would help.

Stun would be great for Clubs – and it’s just mimicking the kicking skill which is already imped.
Coil (disarm) would be great for Whips – and it’s just mimicking the kicking skill which is already imped.
Sweep (makes them stumble) would be great for Staves – and it’s just mimicking the kicking skill which is already imped.
Dagger (already has stab)

Or if you wanted to make them all damage based, they could look like:
Clubs – Clobber
Whips – Crack
Staves – Strike (staff is poked into gut of opponent, causing more damage)
Lance – Charge
Etc.

Just thought it would make other weapons a little more fun to play.
Aruon

Re: Weapons

Post by Aruon »

I think all weapon classes should have a quest to get the basic stances for them, maybe with varying differences to keep them all separate.
Niila
Site Admin

Post by Niila »

I thought about this topic when I was fixing up combat half a year ago, and told myself I'd get around to adding something unique for all weapontypes. Sadly, due to real life and lack of time (and fixing up stuff that's already there) I didn't manage to do it.

However, since this topic came up, I got a new idea which I hadn't really hadn't had before. Instead of implementing new skills, I think the best solution (and probably the most fun for players?) would be to add a miniform system for weapons.

Huh? Miniform system?!

Yes, a miniform system. It wouldn't be like bladeforms, but it would kind of be like bladeforms. Unlike bladeforms, you don't train them up. Instead, they're based on your weapon and your ability to use your weapon. You'd have no new skills, simply having your weaponstyle trained up you'd have access to these 'forms'.

Okay, so what exactly would these 'nonbladeform forms' be? Simply put, they'd be basic maneuvers that you can use that do different kind of functions. They'd be used with the syntax of 'weapontype formname', where weapontype could be, for example, staff. If you typed staff without a syntax, it would give you the available moves you know how to perform (depending on your skill %). Then to make a move you'd use the syntax of 'staff sweep' for starting the execution of the 'staff sweep' maneuver.

But I mentioned they'd be like bladeforms, and I really meant it in that kind of a sense. The maneuvers you could perform would 'show up' to the victim you're doing, and they could in turn attempt to use a maneuvers to counter yours with.

Let's say you'd be trying to perform the aforementioned staff sweep. Your opponent is an axe-wielder, and they've their own unique set of manuevers as well. Now, your opponent would know that s/he is able to counter your maneuver if they use 'axe cleave', so they start that up. Once your maneuver should execute, it would check if the opponent is performing a move that would counter it, and then your attack would either get blocked, or you'd get the execution through, depending a bit on randomness.

If it was blocked, it'll cancel the attack on both participants. If not, then you'd interrupt the cleave and it would execute normally. Unless they avoided it, in which case they'd cleave you when their timer is up. Unless you managed to start the counter for the axe cleave on your own before it executed through.

Now, not all weapontypes would have counters for all possible maneuvers, as they'd all have their unique set of maneuvers which they may execute. Some weapons might have the same maneuvers, and they'd execute in the same way, but some would be unique only to that particular weapontype itself. A bit of rock-paper-scissors in a way, where one type of weapon is better against one, while another is better against that, and the middle one is the best against the last one..

Food for thought.

- Niila

Oh and..

P.S. These wouldn't be for swords of any type.
Arleve
Green Ajah

Post by Arleve »

Sold!

I assume you'll be whipping up that code this weekend. ;)

In all seriousness, that does sound really really cool. I hope it's something you guys upstairs can find the time to implement.
Daneidor

Post by Daneidor »

I agree whole-heartedly with Arleve. Sounds like a great idea!
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Bumping this for further consideration.
"How the fades must gnash their teeth......."

Demandred of the Forsaken.