Rumor Gathering

For all questions regarding game-play.

Moderator: Builders

Ganelon

Rumor Gathering

Post by Ganelon »

Been various posts and direct requests about this system over the years. So I'm putting this here and making it a 'sticky' to keep it in view.

Please note, the creation of this system is not my work, I'm just seeding it further around the MUD. All gratitude should be directed towards the original master of noble clans, Tular.

Taken a lot of work to hunt everything down and test it to make a complete post. I reserve the right to have minor errors - which I will adjust as I find them.

There are two types of possible rumors you can gather:

1 You can only gather local rumors in a tavern within your own nation.
IE: If you are from Illian (clan 205), an Illian tavern will only generate local rumors for you.
You can only gather foreign rumors from a tavern that is not within your own nation.
IE: If you are from Illian (clan 205), an Andoran tavern will only generate foreign rumors for you.

2 To get a rumor to generate just requires being in a tavern with enough people (mobs) in it. Rumors have a time cycle on it that determines exactly when they generate, so some waiting is involved. I usually recommend raising passive skills like meditation, hide, search, etc during this time, or combat passive ones like bladeforms.

If rumors never generate from that tavern, it is highly likely the system has not yet been put in place within that particular tavern. In such a case, contact an Immortal.

3 There are five possible rumors that can be generated in a tavern. They are identical in appearance, no matter if you're collecting local rumors, or foreign rumors. These are:

Some talk of a break-in at a nearby Lord's estate drifts across the room.
It appears one of the maids was seen whispering to a man in an adjacent alley.

Rumour is voiced that a local Lady is indulging her pleasures with her husband's rival.
Apparently the stableman let it slip over a few too many drinks.

Word drifts across the room that two noblemen out hunting were plotting the death of a rival.
A gamesman seemingly overheard the plot while retrieving grouse.

You overhear part of a conversations about a fire in a Lord's warehouse.
It seems a slight built figure was spotted slipping out a back window.

A rumour ripples through the room of a secret alliance between a local House and the merchant's guild.
Seems a certain manservant caught the meeting while cleaning behind a wall hanging.

Along with the rumor, another line will generate:

You're sure you know that tale back to front now. Perhaps someone will trade for it. - Ignore this.

4 To know how likely you are to get an award for tuning-in a rumor, you need to gain an object called a silver signet ring – for RP purposes, consider this a ter'angreal that gives you enhanced memory. These rings are issuable by noble clan mobs (or will be if not already available for some). They also load in a few select shops. If you are having trouble getting one, contact an Immortal.

While wearing the ring, you can type the command: recall rumors. It will display something similar to this by way of example:

LOCAL RUMORS:
You have a vague understanding that a fire in a lord's warehouse looks to have been set by a figure spotted slipping out the back window.

You have a vague understanding that a break-in at a lord's estate may have been an inside job, as a maid was seen with someone nearby.

You have a vague understanding that a stableman witnessed a lady indulging her pleasures with her husband's rival.

You've heard shadowy suggestions that a midling house has formed a secret alliance with a local guild.

You have a vague understanding that according to a gamesman, two noblemen were plotting the death of a rival.

FOREIGN RUMORS:

(etc, etc.....)
"How the fades must gnash their teeth......."

Demandred of the Forsaken.
Ganelon

Re: Rumor Gathering

Post by Ganelon »

1 As you will have noticed from the above ring messages, each rumor has several different categories that let you know how well you know the rumor, and its likelihood of earning you something for turning it in to the correct receiving mob.

Think of it as working on a rough percentage basis:

Anything under 10% is vague
From there to about 30% is shadowy
Reasonable at around 30+ until around 54'ish%
Confident at around 55'ish%
Certain about 82'ish%

The exact numbers are not possible to be determined due to several random elements.

2 To gain your reward, go to the relevant mob for your Noble House or National Clan and, for each rumor, use this syntax:

Say Word has it there was a fire in a Lord's warehouse.

Say Word has it there was a break-in at a nearby Lord's estate.

Say Word has it local Lady is indulging her pleasures with her husband's rival.

Say Word has it there is a secret alliance between a local House and the merchant's guild.

Say Word has it that two noblemen out hunting were plotting the death of a rival.

3 For Noble House Clans, Clan Point awards for success will be randomly allocated to either your national of house clan.

For those who have only a national clan, it will be allocated only into national clan (obviously).

4 Once a rumor has been turned in (successfully or not), its score is set back to zero, and the rumor removed from the signet ring messages.

Foreign rumors ALWAYS only to go into national clan, regardless of if you belong to a Noble House Clan or not. So Noble House Clan members can turn these in at their own specific mobs, or at the National Clan turn-in mob.

As well as Clan Points, you will also gain a small amount of cash (120 coins) and XP (very, very small amount).

Please note at this point of time, I'm unaware of exactly what clans are/are not missing turn-in mobs, but I will post a complete list by name of what's currently in (and where) on relevant clan forums as I get around to checking for them. You can also ask me to search for or create one as needed.

Ganelon

Re: Rumor Gathering

Post by Ganelon »

In the event of questions on the topic not covered here, or anything else related to the subject, please start a separate thread in the Help form for it. I want this thread left uncluttered so as not to produce confusion.

Any changes made as a result of those additional posts will be then edited into this thread.