A Lesson from an Aes Sedai

For in character logs and discussion.

Moderator: Builders

Torin
Shining Guard

A Lesson from an Aes Sedai

Post by Torin »

Sweetwaters Tavern
It is no surprise why this tavern has been named so, as ambrosial ale and beverages flow sweet and golden. Casks upon casks of alcohol are stacked about the wall, each with a moist tap of brass set into the oak structure. Tables are scattered about, most with two or three stools propped against the square top. The tavern keeper maintains a clean tavern, and not a single spot is left for long on any surface before the mob of barmaids come to clean the spill. West, through a wide doorway is Serpent lane.
[ Exits: w ]
A square wooden table made to seat four.
A low stool is ready for an occupant.
( 2) A low stool is ready for an occupant.
A black stallion, following you is standing here.
A tall woman, with thick tresses of bright red hair, smiles at everyone.
A brown stallion, following Arleve is standing here.
Arleve, wielding a dual bladed warstaff is sitting upon a low stool.
A young woman weaves about the tables, a cheerful smile on her nicely-plump face.
A young woman weaves about the tables, a cheerful smile on her nicely-plump face.
A muscular man slouches by one of the tables, watching over the tavern.
A muscular man slouches by one of the tables, watching over the tavern.
A pouty barmaid sullenly goes about her work.
Cyenn the bartender waits here with a wide grin.
A weasel faced man watches over the lip of his mug of ale.

Torin undoes the top button of his coat as he orders a mug.

You say, 'Oh!'

You say, 'Forgive me Arleve Sedai'

You bow before her.

Arleve sits down upon a low stool.

Arleve nods at you.

Torin collects his mug and makes his way towards an empty table.

You sit down upon a low stool.

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'Hello Master Torin.'

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'Good to see you again.'

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'You frequent this establishment, it seems.'

Torin blinks in thought for a second.

You say, 'I guess I do.'

You say, 'I was just coming back into the city from a patrol and passed by today.'

You say, 'Decided I was thirsty.'

Torin smiles pleasantly.

Torin sips from his mug.

Arleve nods, 'I spend some time here, though mostly listening to others' tales. I am a gatherer of tales you see.

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'What is your tale, Master Torin. Where are you from?'

You say, 'There isn't much of one yet, Arleve Sedai, that would be part of the reason I'm here.'

A red-haired woman leaves west.

You say, 'Just a young man from a small town hoping to have an adventure and make something of himself in the process.'

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'And what small town?'

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'You said...Andor, right?'

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'Past Whitebridge as I recall.'

You say, 'Indeed'

You say, 'A town called Baerlon.'

Arleve nods.

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'I have never been to Baerlon myself.'

You say, 'I can't say as you're missing much.'

You sip from a mug.

An industrious man leaves west.

Arleve glances in the general direction of the Tower, 'Finally.'

You ponder over matters as they appear to you at this moment.

You say, 'Finally?'

A tall man has arrived from the west.

Arleve tilts her head, 'Hmm? Oh. My Warder..he's finally found his bed.'

You say, 'Ah'

You nod.

Arleve looks at you.

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'You are not drinking anything.'

You pick up a thin glass wine mug.

Torin peers into his nearly empty mug.

Arleve buys a thin glass wine mug.

Arleve gives you a thin glass wine mug.

You say, 'Well...oh'

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'Not many men can say an Aes Sedai bought them a mug of wine.'

Arleve grins at you.

You say, 'You honor me Arleve Sedai, thank you.'

Arleve sits upon a low stool.

You sip from a mug.

You grin at her.

You say, 'And tell me, how many men have bought one for you?'

Torin watches you intently.

Arleve chuckles, 'Well, I am from Bandar Eben originally Master Torin...'

A tall man leaves west.

You say, 'Yes, I remember you saying that...'

Arleve nods.

You sip from a mug.

You say, 'So, what is your story?'

A tired merchant has arrived from the west.

You drink the wine.

Arleve shrugs, 'My mother was a merchant, as most women are in Bandar Eben. My father the Lord of a Minor House in Kandor. When it was discovered that my sister and I could channel, we were spirited off to Tar Valon.'

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'With an approving father and an apprehensive mother.'

A tall man has arrived from the west.

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'Not much more to tell..before the Shawl that is.'

You say, 'I see'

A tired merchant leaves west.

Arleve smiles softly, 'My father was very handsome. He was so proud we would become Aes Sedai.'

Torin get a twinkle in his eye, as if suppressing a smile.

You say, 'You have a sister?'

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'Oh, yes. Adaina Sedai of the Brown Ajah.'

You hmm...

You say, 'The Brown Ajah'

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'She has been away from the Tower for some time.'

You say, 'And you a Green.'

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'Yes.'

You say, 'That is unfortunate, I would have liked to meet her.'

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'I did not say she would never return.'

Arleve chuckles.

You say, 'Then I look forward to that day.'

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'She is still alive. We are twins... I would know if something happened to her.'

Torin nods in agreement.

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'What do you think of Tar Valon and the Aes Sedai, Master Torin?'

A tall man leaves west.

Torin leans back in his chair with a wary expression on his face, running a finger around the edge of his mug.

You say, 'I haven't met many Aes Sedai yet and the city is big and ...troubling.'

You say, 'I was assigned to patrol inside the walls a couple days ago, and there were breakins and other troubles reported all day long.'

Torin gazes pensively at the mug.

Arleve glances at the mug, 'You expected better from a city full of women who can channel?'

Torin blinks.

Torin frowns slightly.

You say, 'I had heard Aes Sedai kept it peaceful.'

Torin flags down a serving girl and orders something to eat.

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'Compared to some other cities, it is remarkably peaceful. That said...'

You now have a mutton shank.

You eat a mutton shank.
You are full.

A tired merchant leaves west.

Arleve continues, 'I could make it very peaceful. I could join you on your patrols. I could make criminals wish their father had never met their mother.'

Torin sits up sharply with a surprised expression on his face.

You peer around you, uncertain that what you see is actually true.

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'I could do that... But then what? Where does that leave us? Who comes to Tar Valon then?'

Arleve leans back slightly on her stool, 'You know, I remember when I came to Tar Valon.'

You say, 'Oh?'

Torin relaxes back again.

Arleve glances towards the door, 'It's been many many years but it was much the same as it is now Master Torin. I remember as a new novice hearing of the Oaths we must live by..'

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'I remember thinking to myself...are these women daft? Why would they agree to any such thing? '

You drink the wine.

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'Living by Oaths...bound by Oaths through the One Power. Say no word that is untrue..'

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'Most people don't keep that Oath past lunch, let alone every day their entire life.'

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'Never use the Power as a weapon...except in very limited circumstances.'

Torin nods thoughtfully.

Arleve glances around, "I could tear this Tavern down and not stir from this spot, without a splinter falling on my fine dress.'

You say, 'But then we'd have no place to meet and chat.'

Torin smiles softly at you.

Arleve smiles at your quip and continues, 'But then I must rule. Once I use that power to do things like that...'

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'To make criminals so scared they wouldn't dream of returning to crime.. I would have to constantly defend that power, wouldn't I.'

You say softly, 'You are right of course, Arleve Sedai.'

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'Aes Sedai do not conquer. We do not want battles and wars and conflict. We fight one war and now you fight one war.'

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'And that is with the Shadow. Not the criminals you bring to justice. '

You say softly, 'Indeed Aes Sedai'

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'People must be free to be wrong. If we tell them otherwise, we are no better than those we would defend them against. Humanity is why we take the Oaths. So humanity will trust us to do what needs doing when the time comes.'

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'You know there's a plaque outside the training halls for the novices and Accepted.'

You say, 'I did not know, only senior Guardsmen are given duties inside the Tower.'

You say, 'What does this plaque say?'

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'Let the darkness of this hallway serve as a memorial, To those who have given their lives. Let it remind those who enter to train within That she does not train in the One Power to use it. She trains in the One Power so she never has to. '

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'Do you understand it?'

You say, 'Aye, Aes Sedai'

Arleve nods.

You drink the wine.

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'It took me a long time to understand it. Anyway...'

Arleve smiles at you, 'That's why we do not keep the city free of all crime...as I think you meant it.

You say, 'Knowledge of bladeforms involves a similar philosophy I believe.'

You say, 'Though I have not yet had a chance to start studying them.'

Arleve nods.

You say, 'I guess...I expected better of the people who live here, not that the Aes Sedai weren't doing enough.'

You say, 'And the most surprising thing of all, most of the crimes reported were done by women!'

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'What crime?'

You say, 'Someone broke into the Tarabon Embassy'

You say, 'A shopkeeper complained about a woman who touches everything, but buys very little.'

You say, 'Some troubles in a couple of taverns.'

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'Women suffer the same temptations as anyone else I'm afraid.'

You say, 'I've never heard of women behaving that way before!'

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'I wish it were not so of course, but there it is. '

Arleve smiles at you.

Torin glares into his mug.

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'You are from a small town north of White Bridge. I'm afraid you'll find the same in most cities.'

You mutter, 'They're supposed to behave better than that.'

You sigh.

Arleve shrugs, 'It has been my experience that a woman without bread to feed her child will do near anything to find a means.'

You say, 'Perhaps.'

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'Poverty is the biggest cause of crime Master Torin, not greed.'

You say, 'Surely food is not the problem in Tar Valon though?'

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'We do what we can of course. Despite our Oaths though, people fear what they do not understand.'

You nod.

You say, 'That I know well, there were many who were upset at my decision to come here.'

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'And Andor is one of Tar Valon's most ancient allies.'

You say, 'My father served in the Queen's Guard, my mother was a maidservant in the palace assigned to serve the Aes Sedai there, I was brought up to have a slightly different view than most where I live.'

You say, 'As you say, people fear what they do not understand.'

You drink the wine.

Arleve nods, 'Well even so, it is one thing to know we're here, call us an ally. It's something else altogether to come to us requesting gold for food.'

You say, 'Easier to steal from another?'

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'The shadow you know is sometimes better than the shadow you don't.'

You say, 'I suppose.'

Arleve smiles at you.

Arleve clambers to her feet.

Torin looks up at you.

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'Do not lose faith in people Master Torin and don't become jaded. The capacity for good in man is far greater than the capacity for evil.'

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'Now..I've watched you get drunk enough I think. I must find my bed.'

You say, 'I will try to keep that in mind.'

You grin evilly.

You say, 'Must you?'

Arleve smile, 'Some men are huggers, some are fighters, some are both at different times.'

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'Tonight you were a fighter and you needed a hug.'

~ Arleve says in light easy tones, 'Goodnight Master Torin.'

Arleve leaves west.
A brown stallion leaves west.

You sigh.
Time sleeps when swords wake.