Crashing

Post here if you encounter a bug within the MUD, or to ask if a feature is intended or not.

Moderator: Niila

Forum rules
Abusing any of the bugs listed (or any bug in general) may result in: Removal of account, temporary/long lasting banning of the person, removal of character, deduction of clan points, removal from a clan, removal of a clan, losing a talent, the loss of equipment or any other perk that may have been received due to intentional abusement of a bug.

Failure to report from a bug may also result in one of the before mentioned actions.
Dezadryk

Crashing

Post by Dezadryk »

Everytime I try to "enter tel'aran'rhiod" the game crashes. Think my character is breaking the mud. Just FYI.
Niila
Site Admin

Re: Crashing

Post by Niila »

Hi Dezadryk,

Yes, you're very right. Your logging in is breaking the MUD when you do it with the character Dezadryk. The reason for this is that the character file is pointing to a null-pointer right now, which means the character's information has been somehow wiped.

This seems like a rather bad thing, and in reality, it is. It means your character is gone. However, that's why we keep backups of the MUD's database, so your character can be taken from those backups.

As I currently don't have access to the MUD, I can't fix the issue yet. I shall be in touch with someone who has the password and ask them to put a earlier copy of your character to your account. This will require no action on your part, and I will let you know when it's safe to log in again in this post.

I'd like to ask if you were logging out or similiar last night when the MUD crashed, or just typed save right before it occurred. Seeing how this is a rather nasty bug, I'd like to find out what caused it.

Awaiting for your reply,
- Niila
Dezadryk

Post by Dezadryk »

In fact, I seem to remember this happening before in the EXACT same room that I was in when it did it last night. I walked into a certain regen room in the trolloc fortress and rested, the regen was going to slow for my greatness so I SLEPT and then SAVED...then it crashed.

Now that i think about it, it may not have been the same room, but could be any of the regen rooms in there.

Please let me know if you have any questions and thanks!

Dez
Niila
Site Admin

Post by Niila »

Hi Dezadryk,

Your character file exists once more. It's from 12.12.2012, just for ease of number. Your rent file is from whatever day it was when you logged out. If you've any unusual items that might cause a crash in your rentfile, please let me know.

It should be safe for you to log in now as usual. I haven't located what caused this problem, but if it's one of the regen rooms, I'll have to look into regen code once I have a moment. If you're able to replicate this somehow, update the status here in this post.

Wishing a very merry Christmas,
-Niila
Dezadryk

Post by Dezadryk »

Thank you very much good sir!
Dineal

Post by Dineal »

Hi,

I've just noticed Dezadryk resting on a blanket causing errors in 37992.

It's because he is still missing "mana" and "maxmana" variables.

I'm thinking something in his playerfile.
Keruk

Post by Keruk »

[ SCRIPT ERR:Trigger: Dineal's Paired Assisted Regeneration Scripts (Secondary Spot), VNum 37993. unknown char field:
'mana' ]
[ SCRIPT ERR:Trigger: Dineal's Paired Assisted Regeneration Scripts (Secondary Spot), VNum 37993. unknown char field:
'maxmana' ]

What is up with that if I might ask?
Niila
Site Admin

Post by Niila »

Hi..

The described message has to do with the code version that was in lacking certain features used in the blanket regen script. Now that we're back to older code piece, the feature is once more in and usable.

- Niila