Masquerade Revision

An update on current projects being worked on, but not yet imped - to allow for player suggestions on said projects, and some transparancy on what's going in.

Moderator: Builders

Niila
Site Admin

Masquerade Revision

Post by Niila »

Hi everyone!

Back when I created the first version of mask-usage to conceal identity, I didn't have too much time to dedicate towards the project and it was a bit half-finished due to it. Things like having aliases for triggering how you can look at a masked person were missing and only thing that seemed to function (and still does to some extend) was killing them.

So in the very first edition of masks, they only concealed your presence and made you show up as 'a masked person'. We had a bit of tweak to it eventually and now the mask itself defines what you look like in the short-descriptions displayed to others. I had already wrote code for 'covering up' the people wearing masks when they wear masks, but it never bore much fruit to anyone but immortals in that aspect, who could see who the person behind the mask was in the first place.

Despite the flaws of the masquerading and how it functioned, I tried my best to make it a feature which would have some use in terms of 'fun' for players who wanted to play shady characters. Now, I'm not very certain whether it had the wanted impact or not in the end, but I've decided to develop it a bit further to polish it so that I might finally be able to consider the project successfully implemented.

So what to expect to happen in the future in regards of masks and similar? Well, today I made it so that you may look at masked people. I intend to flesh this out more, so that any keyword in the short description may be used to 'target' the masked person (so if it was 'bloody-faced man with pale eyes', you could target it with any of the words (bloody-faced, man, with, pale, eyes)). This gives room for more variation in how you may wish to 'display' yourself as to others and still be interact-able by everyone else. Of course, regular masks will still remain regular masks..

With everything having been said, I don't have a exact timeline for this project, so it might be a day or a week away when I get to implement the changes to improve the usage of concealing identity. I'll keep this posted as I get things done, along with the code changes notes that I usually make.

If you've comments about how the current system should be changed (or additional ideas how to improve the system), post here. I'm looking for output, even from those who haven't used the masks but have concerns about them.

With summery wishes,
Niila
Niila
Site Admin

Re: Masquerade Revision

Post by Niila »

Now then! Update on this project.

It's completed. Now you may target people who are wearing masks by the short-descriptions that they possess. It should work for emotes, socials, commands.. if it doesn't, I'd like someone to report about it for me.

I consider this project now officially finished.

Thank you everyone for the waiting to see it fixed!

With best regards,
Niila