Merean Sedai with finishing chores

Post here if you encounter a bug within the MUD, or to ask if a feature is intended or not.

Moderator: Niila

Forum rules
Abusing any of the bugs listed (or any bug in general) may result in: Removal of account, temporary/long lasting banning of the person, removal of character, deduction of clan points, removal from a clan, removal of a clan, losing a talent, the loss of equipment or any other perk that may have been received due to intentional abusement of a bug.

Failure to report from a bug may also result in one of the before mentioned actions.
Riley

Merean Sedai with finishing chores

Post by Riley »

You are a rank 4 member of the White Tower (301), a Senior Novice.
You have 84 clan points and can award others up to 0 points.
You need 51 points to attain the next rank.

You spread your skirts and sink into a deep curtsey before her.

[3] 246/246H 53/53M 68EXP (O Saidar)(refreshed Energy) EPos >You say, 'I'm finished with my chores Merean Sedai.
'

[3] 246/246H 53/53M 68EXP (O Saidar)(refreshed Energy) EPos >
Merean Redhill, the Mistress of Novices says to you, 'Very good child, you've earned 1 cp's for your work.'

Merean Redhill, the Mistress of Novices says to you, 'You may gain up to 48 merit points from chores and task,'

Merean Redhill, the Mistress of Novices says to you, 'which is equal to three quarters of your rank. '

Merean Redhill, the Mistress of Novices says to you, 'You may gain up to -18 more at this rank.'
Saving Riley and aliases.

I was just ranked up to rank 4 the night before and she is still telling me 'You may gain up to -18 more at this rank.'

Even at the end of Rank 3 she was telling me negative numbers.
Riley Talvathar
Accepted of the White Tower
Riley

Re: Merean Sedai with finishing chores

Post by Riley »

You spread your skirts and sink into a deep curtsey before her.

[17] 256/256H 16/53M 97XP O-refreshed >You say, 'I'm finished with my chores Merean Sedai.'

[17] 256/256H 16/53M 97XP O-refreshed >
Merean Redhill, the Mistress of Novices says to you, 'Very good child, you've earned 1 cp's for your work.'

Merean Redhill, the Mistress of Novices says to you, 'You may gain up to 48 merit points from chores and task,'

Merean Redhill, the Mistress of Novices says to you, 'which is equal to three quarters of your rank. '

Merean Redhill, the Mistress of Novices says to you, 'You may gain up to -28 more at this rank.'

Merean Redhill, the Mistress of Novices says to you, 'You may go child.'

[17] 256/256H 17/53M 97XP O-refreshed >info
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are a 17 year old female wetlander from the Two Rivers lands.
You are 4 feet 8 inches tall, weigh 85 lbs, and use your right hand.
You are blessed with tan skin, blue eyes and golden hair.

Your voice is 'says'.

You are a rank 1 member of the Andoran (200), a Countryman.
You have 0 clan points and can award others up to 0 points.
You need 10 points to attain the next rank.

You have 95 clan points and can award others up to 0 points.
You need 40 points to attain the next rank.

In total, you have played for 7 days, 4 hours, and 32 minutes.
You have died 1 times, and killed 560 times.

You have had 3 fame votes cast for you, and have 13 left to cast.
This week, your votes will reset on Mon Jul 22 12:01:50 2013.
That leaves you 2 days, 23 hours, and 45 minutes to spend them.

You are disliked by the following faction

I did tasks in between... so is crediting the CPs correctly.

[8] 267/267H 19/53M 33XP O-refreshed >You say, 'I'm finished with my chores Merean Sedai.'

[8] 267/267H 19/53M 33XP O-refreshed >

Merean Redhill, the Mistress of Novices says to you, 'You may gain up to -30 more at this rank.'

[8] 267/267H 20/53M 33XP O-refreshed >
Merean Redhill, the Mistress of Novices says to you, 'You may go child.'

[8] 267/267H 20/53M 33XP O-refreshed >info
You are a 17 year old female wetlander from the Two Rivers lands.
You are 4 feet 8 inches tall, weigh 85 lbs, and use your right hand.
You are blessed with tan skin, blue eyes and golden hair.

Your voice is 'says'.

You have 97 clan points and can award others up to 0 points.
You need 38 points to attain the next rank.

You are a rank 1 member of the Andoran (200), a Countryman.
You have 0 clan points and can award others up to 0 points.
You need 10 points to attain the next rank.

In total, you have played for 7 days, 7 hours, and 44 minutes.
You have died 1 times, and killed 560 times.

You have had 3 fame votes cast for you, and have 13 left to cast.
This week, your votes will reset on Mon Jul 22 12:01:50 2013.
That leaves you 2 days, 20 hours, and 31 minutes to spend them.

You are disliked by the following faction

But, as you can tell from my previous post... She's stalled at telling me MoN says to you, 'You may gain up to 48 merit points from chores and task,' So at this point in time I'm not going to be able to know when I'm supposed to stop doing tasks and only just work on doing chores.
Niila
Site Admin

Re: Merean Sedai with finishing chores

Post by Niila »

Hi Riley,

What you were experiencing (this comes quite late I understand, but I felt like I had to explain this regardless, for future reference) is that back in the day, chores were restricted to a certain % of your rank total. I believe the percentage was 30, so you could only gain third of the required cps for your rank through doing chores.

However, this was changed by Shawnyve quite a long time ago, as gaining the rest of the 70% CPs through classes + tasks wasn't very user-friendly experience, especially at higher ranks. Indeed, the only way to gain cps past a certain point was only fame votes, and you got those 1 cp every 5 fame votes. This became especially painful if you failed to get fully correct points in quizzes, since timed cps didn't exist either, you'd have to interact with people (who while not very sparse back then, was still difficult for people outside of prime time).

As to the problem why Merean keeps telling you that you can only gain a certain amount is because Merean's Trigger for Tasks is so long, that it cannot be edited inside the MUD. It'll hang it. This means the trigger on Merean can only be edited on the server side. When Shawnyve changed the trigger to allow you to get as many cps from chores and tasks as your heart desired, she forgot to edit out that portion of the trigger.

Now, someone will eventually have to find out the trigger on the server side, in some file, and edit it to remove these parts of the trigger. I'll try to keep a eye out if I find the location of the triggers (as I've never had to visit them before) and fix it. In the meanwhile, you can simply ignore her pampering of how many merits you can gain.

Thanks for bringing this to attention though.

Niila out.