Critical chance

Post here if you encounter a bug within the MUD, or to ask if a feature is intended or not.

Moderator: Niila

Forum rules
Abusing any of the bugs listed (or any bug in general) may result in: Removal of account, temporary/long lasting banning of the person, removal of character, deduction of clan points, removal from a clan, removal of a clan, losing a talent, the loss of equipment or any other perk that may have been received due to intentional abusement of a bug.

Failure to report from a bug may also result in one of the before mentioned actions.
Master Sylibus
Queen's Guard

Critical chance

Post by Master Sylibus »

You feel affected by:
Poison!
Defensiveness.
A violent feeling.

* HP:70/575 MV:12/53 MT:/ -- () >save
Saving Sylibus and aliases.

* HP:70/575 MV:12/53 MT:/ -- () >
The void ruthlessly smothers the flame's attempt to awaken your emotions.

* HP:72/575 MV:15/53 MT:/ -- () >
A water snake has arrived from the east.

* HP:73/575 MV:15/53 MT:/ -- () >
A water snake has arrived from the east.
You suddenly notice a flaw in Sylibus's defenses, and fire gleams in your eyes as you strike!
Fire suddenly gleams in the eyes of Sylibus as he leaps at you!
Your muscles writhe under your skin while fever burns your body from the poison.
You wish that your wounds would stop BLEEDING so much!

* HP:49/575 MV:17/53 MT:/ -- () >

Quite sure that's a bit off. I was poisoned and the poison tic took into account my crit chance and crit against me. I'm sure it'll be a rare occurence but it just leaves me to wonder.
Niila
Site Admin

Re: Critical chance

Post by Niila »

Hi Sylibus,

First of all, thank you for reporting this. It would seem that the reason why this occurs is due to poison dealing 'damage' to you in the way of regular damage, which leads to trigger all the checks that involve critical hits. This most likely occurs also when weaves are being performed if the user is of emotionless style as well, which is quite troublesome as it's a massive boost to damage in general.

I'll try to fix this issue soon, hopefully before everyone dies of old age. I'll consider it top-priority fix. I'll post a update to this thread once it's been sorted out.

- Niila
Niila
Site Admin

Post by Niila »

Just as an update, this is now fixed. Only regular melee attacks should now trigger critical hits. Forms, weaves, poison damage, none of them should do it anymore. If this isn't the case however, let me know.

We could consider this a downtune to the emotionless path at the same time. I believe this is how it should have worked from the start, I just didn't ever realize it actually triggered on all damage instead of just forms/regular melee attacks before. Yes, I've noticed it occurring with bash and kick, but I had been under the impression that they were counted as regular melee attacks as well.

Enjoy the summer! And not killing yourself by critically letting the poison run through your body.

- Niila
Master Sylibus
Queen's Guard

Post by Master Sylibus »

Ahh much appreciated though I didn't foresee forms being taken out of the crittable equation. Either way it makes me sit down and consider both disciplines and certain paths.

Emotionless was a popular choice because it allowed you to be able to crit your forms and melee as well. This required you to spend at minimum a point in meditation. Most will go with two. So the tradeoff there was 1-2 practice points.

Creative doesn't require meditation thus saving you 1-2 practice points (which is a huge perk to those that don't have points to spare). It also has the added effect of rolling forms through bashes which is a great perk when fighting multiple bashing opponents. They also could not crit supposedly, especially forms. Though I have seen fades crit on melee attacks and they are Creative as far as I know. I cannot test to see if a player in Creative can crit on melee but if they do then it leaves no reason to go Emotionless.

Thunder on the Ocean as far as I know has an increased crit chance. I know it still applies to melee but forms should reap the benefit too I think especially for such a perk.

Not a complaint. Just an observation I've noticed from the change. I totally did not like weaves being able to crit. Channelers, to be efficient, must utilize Meditate thus those that attained bladeforms benefitted greatly from Emotionless.

I'd at least like to see Emotionless have the ability to crit forms. Most smobs worth a darn you can't even properly use bladeforms against to where the crit chance from forms made much of a difference.

Either way, if Creative can still crit melee attacks then I want to be switched so I can use my precious points in other skills like Compare.

Also, I've noticed on my Thunder mort that single target forms often have a chance to multi hit other opponents. Haven't experienced that just yet on old Sylibus. Just wanted to confirm Water morts had a chance to do that as well as the rest of the others.

Cheers.
Niila
Site Admin

Post by Niila »

I tested it through with 2 fades and Shaidar Haran beating on warders for a bit over a hour and not a single time did the fades or Shaidar Haran critically hit. Fades haven't always been Creative, so that might be where you have witnessed the critical hits before.

This change certainly impacts the Thunder on the Ocean path quite a lot. We'll see about how the path holds up against the other paths, but it's still not the weakest path in existence, unless used by a Creative user (they still won't be able to do critical hits, which leaves this path useless for Creative).

As for the multi-hitting, Thunder on the Ocean seems to be classified as Multi-Opponent path in the code, which means that sometimes it'll trigger and hit multiple opponents (but only cause the effects of the bladeform on the targeted opponent) with all forms. The other path with this feature is Scales of Power.
Aisle

Post by Aisle »

It seems like a pretty big hit to the Thunder form. :(
Dezadryk

Post by Dezadryk »

Just wanted to weight in here...

Being one of those fortunate enough to have both weaves and bladeforms, (and master meditate), I can tell you that I have never once seen a message pop up for a weave doing critical damage (much like the poison did?) That's not to say it wasn't happening, just it was never acting any different then normally weaving

Secondly, I also at one point had a character with the creative form path, and while they were rumored to be able to form through bashes, I was very disappointed to find out that they most certainly did not. The caveat to this is that my character only had circles at 1, which is not that high, so the whole "form through bashes" thing may work at high circles.

That being said. As someone who has played this game a long time, I'm going to say this right now. If It's my choice, and creative styles actually do form through bashes, that is absolutely, 100% insane. Sure, you may not crit, but no one's going to stop you from getting your forms off. Brace as a skill (and even having 130/130) just isn't enough to stop big bashing weapons, so when you get bashed, you're losing forms AND weaves (if you have them rolling). But if creative style actually ignored bash, reallly really incredible.