Medium blades!

A place to discuss ideas for improving the MUD.

Moderator: Builders

Vierna
Aes Sedai

Medium blades!

Post by Vierna »

Okay.. after a long winded thought, I'd like to ask if we could have medium blades in the MUD that would be two-handed and compare in damage to atleast two-handed longswords in damage.

Why do I ask?

Everyone uses a long blade! And why not use a long blade since a long blade deals more damage, has more reach, and in addition! A two-handed long blade can't be kicked from your hand!

So could we please have an medium blade in the MUD (or oppoturnity to use medium blades) in both hands, so they can't be kicked, and deal about the same damage as an two-handed longsword which costs only 110?

I don't mind if it's a smob load, even if it's on a variable! I'd just like to have a weapon that doesn't read 'this person deals less damage than everyone else' just because I like to use medium blades.

Thank you for listening!
Dezadryk

Re: Medium blades!

Post by Dezadryk »

Agreed!
Velis
Warder Student

Post by Velis »

But really.... is this the biggest problem that needs attention? :P
ajon

Post by ajon »

I had a thought after reading the other thread. Could medium blades have a chance to bypass armor. Or perhaps they are faster and a successful parry has a chance to generate a counter attack.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

ajon wrote:I had a thought after reading the other thread. Could medium blades have a chance to bypass armor. Or perhaps they are faster and a successful parry has a chance to generate a counter attack.
As to the first: absolutely not as far as I'm concerned.

With the second: hmm, I've got mixed feelings about it. I'd have to discuss it with other imms before I considered it.

As to the original post of the thread by Vierna:
I've always thought the cost of the two-handed longsword was way undervalue compared to how good it is.
If I'm reading what you've written correctly, I don't think any weapon should be impossible to disarm from a kick. It's the wielder's grip that should determine that, not the weight or size of the weapon (vastly over-simplified for the sake of not writing one of my mega-long and ultimately boring posts).
I know that since the original post, medium and long blades got tweaked, but I don't recall the specifics.

Personally, I think all weapons should have the same range of damage and be different in other factors only - accuracy, bash, parry, two-handed or single, weight.
If you've hit, it should be considered a definitive blow - getting stabbed in the guts by a shortblade is just as damaging as taking a morning star across the ribs.
Real differences would be expanded on by some of the things we already have in place - piercing weapons can stab, lances can be used to charge while mounted, polearms can dismount riders, flails can multi-hit, staves can.....etc.
The only variance in damage should be in the 'tier' of ability of the weapon: eg - a shitty medium blade does less damage than a really good medium blade.

Lots I can write on this in both RL medieval warfare and game mechanics justification - but I'm trying to cut down on being annoying *laughs*.

As to the question of a decent medium blade SMOB being added, I'm happy to add a SMOB of any type or load at request. Simply post or PM the vague details of what you'd like to see, and if it's doable, then it'll get done.
"How the fades must gnash their teeth......."

Demandred of the Forsaken.